Friday, September 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Brian



On Wednesday my family celebrated my little brother's 26th birthday at Citizen's Bank Park watching the Phils sweep the Atlanta Braves. Whooohoo!! When it comes to family events my mom and I often split the baking duties; she makes her yummy cakes and I decorate them. Years ago, we took a cake
decorating class at A.C. Moore. It was a brief class on learning how to use fondant. If you aren't familiar with the product it's basically like edible play doh...though if you asked me when I was a kid, I thought all play doh was edible. It is not. It is salty and disgusting, children don't try it. Fondant however is like eating a sugary taffy. There is designer fondant that apparently tastes like tootsie rolls and there is a recipe for marshmallow fondant somewhere in my files- Note to self: try these in the future. Anyway, in the pictures above and below you can see the phils hat, baseball, and jersey are all made from the fondant. I also used Wilton spray food coloring for the sides of the cake. Easy to use, great coverage, but WARNING it gets everywhere! I didn't realize it until
I went to wipe down my kitchen and was getting lots of red dye. Ugh, What a pain! I do recommend the product, but in the future I will put down lots of newspaper first.

No comments:

Post a Comment