Thursday, September 8, 2011

Meet the critics


Number 1- My husband! Jonathan, age 31, gym rat and a healthy eater, but will on occasion indulge his sweet tooth or good old Italian roots. When we first started dating I read the book Your Diet is Driving Me CRAZY. That was in 2004 and I’m pleased to say we’ve found our happy medium in the kitchen. Lots of veggies and lean protein is the way to this man’s heart.

Number 2- Layla, my soon to be 2 year old. She eats like her Dad; many little meals throughout the day. The key to keeping her pleased is variety. She loves her fruits like her mama and cheese…though lots of that definitely doesn’t agree with her.

Number 3- Cara, our four year old Newfoundland. Cara is as sweet as

can be and always in the center of the kitchen or under the table. Newfs are a smart breed and she knows that where Layla is there is sure to be food nearby. Keeping in mind the list of no no foods for dogs, the only thing she won’t eat is bananas. She will eat her own vomit if I let her, but not bananas? I find this hysterical.

As for myself, I think the list of things I’m allergic to is longer than the list of my don’t likes. I can’t eat walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts so you will often see substitutions or omissions if those are called for in a recipe. I had an allergic reaction to MSG and soy in college so I watch for both of those ingredients. I’m not a fan of veal or lamb. Since we’ve gone Organic/ Grass Fed our meat consumption has decreased quite a bit. We are also a no HFCS household. The more we read ( I should say Jon-but he gives me the Cliff notes version) the more we are moving toward local farm fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment